Thursday, July 21, Day 12

  • Last high tide in New Bedford-Fairhaven 2:42am
  • Next low at 8:05am
  • Wind SW 10, 12, 14, 17-19 nm/h
  • Wind gusts stir 4-5’ waves at 18, 24, 35 km/h
  • Temp 75-82
  • Dew point 77%, 11% chance of rain, later today

It’s a relief our dingy was found. Peter has had her for ages. It sort of felt like-losing an old friend. I had assumed she became one with, like an old man, the sea. We can row back and forth to the mooring without relying on a launch. We’ll gain in the wind as the tide returns us to shore. We’re not hauling sails this morning. Matter-of-factly, the engine will take “over haul.” We’re tuning, not trimming today.

Early this morning, Peter found what he needed to troubleshoot the engine. He worked on it most of the day. The heat advisory was still in place and reached 100°.

Quite thoroughly, I plotted a course through various channels, studied weather patterns, and compared conditions for getting underway. It became clear, this nasty weather would persist for a couple of days. For most of the morning Peter still believed, we should head out tomorrow. Yet, my reticence for setting back to sea continued to grow. While he worked the wind gusts continuously increased, and rocked Tabasco hard. While working on Tabasco in the bay, he changed his mind; and realized we need to wait another day. I need two. By early afternoon, I know. It’s time to pull away. I’ve decided to take my husband home. We are both wobbly and I’m pretty sure he broke a rib.

I figure a way to get my vehicle through utilizing public transportation. We left it parked at Allen Harbor, our home port, in Rhode Island. Within hours, I return to the marina, launch out to the mooring, and collect some heavy gear. I’m not sure Peter will leave because he did not yet know I got my car. I could not reach him before I left because my phone broke. When I arrived back; slowly, softly, I said; “I think we should go home.” When I tell him we have the car, he looks at me happy. He is grateful. In quietness and contentment he comes with me. We head home.

Arriving, immediately we relax. It really was a close call. I prepared to say my goodbyes. We hold hands, embrace, and thank God His mercy, for each other, for our family and our friends, and for our life ahead.

Our plan is to begin the voyage of bringing Tabasco home, under motor, this Saturday. It’s a 10 hour trip and will take a couple of days. The first part of our journey reaches an interlude. Tomorrow is another day! Friday, I will post images of the tow.

July 22nd

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: